When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love”
– Marcus Aurelius
Morning is my favorite time of day. As a Vata with days full of movement, different projects, clients, and classes, I prize the moments of stillness and quiet before the excitement begins.
Golden mylk is a beverage prized by Ayurveda for it’s anti-inflammatory compounds. Circumin from turmeric, gingerol from ginger, piperine from black pepper, and cinnamon reduce inflammation in your body, helping relieve pitta, heat, blood pressure, and stress. The perfect morning beverage.
I make my golden mylk pretty thick and calorie dense to help me start of the day with some good power. But for Pittas and Kaphas, you might have different needs for a delicious beverage.
Here’s the recipe!
Vegan Golden Mylk Recipe for Vata
- you can skip the hemp seeds and chia seeds and add 8 oz of hemp milk instead (then you won’t need a blender and can just stir everything together)!
- I’m doing this recipe with ginger and turmeric powder for ease, but to supercharge your golden mylk, grate fresh ginger and turmeric! It’s going to be more potent and more delicious.
- Feel free to use a microwave to heat your mylk instead of stovetop.
- 8 oz water
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- dash salt
- dash black pepper
- 1 tsp honey (optional: can do more or less to taste).
- Mix all of the ingredients besides the honey in a high powered blender for about 20-30 seconds to get the hemp seeds very fine.
- Add the contents of a blender to a saucepan, cover, and gently heat at around medium heat.
- When the drink is hot (but not boiling), pour into your cup and add honey to taste.
Adjustments for Vata: You can use molasses instead of honey for an extra boost of iron/calcium!
Adjustments for Pitta: Use coconut flakes/coconut milk instead of chia. Only use 1 tbsp total of hemp or chia seeds. Reduce the amount of ginger.
Adjustments for Kapha: Skip the hemp and chia seeds (or greatly reduce) and simply drink like a spiced tea. Consider reducing or removing honey.
Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day,