Did you know that I have a Womxn’s Wellness Newsletter? (I do!) It’s released every other Wednesday and includes strategies to balance the menstrual cycle and hormones, as well as support for pregnant/postpartum folks. Some of the topics we’ve been covering include hormonal acne, foods to support hormonal balance, as well as navigating the gestational diabetes test, and some of my favorite postpartum products. You can sign up for the newsletter by registering for the weekly newsletter and opting in for the Womxn’s Wellness Newsletter!
In this past Wednesday’s newsletter, I shared some of my favorite products for menstrual health, and I wanted to share them with you all as well. These products and practices have completely changed how I manage my periods and how I think about my menstrual health.
My Favorite Womxn’s Wellness Products
- “Taking Charge of your Fertility” – This book is a GAME CHANGER. It helps you understand your period, why you experience the symptoms you do, plus strategies you can use to balance your hormones and regulate your period.>
- Menstrual Cup– Less waste, less cramping, less mess. I love my menstrual cup! There are different brands and sizes that are better for different people. I’ve used the Diva Cup for years, but you can take a quiz to find your perfect menstrual cup here.
- Ava fertility bracelet – This one is a little more pricey, but to me it is worth it. Did you know that your temperature is different based on the level of progesterone in your body? You can use your temperature (and a few other measures) to tell when you’re ovulating and when your period is going to come. It’s amazing! I love my Ava because it takes your temperature (plus other parameters like breathing and heart rate) throughout the night, which means you get a more accurate temperature read and better predictions. Plus you can track period symptoms! This is particularly useful for anyone who has irregular periods or is trying to understand their menstrual cycle better.
- My anti-inflammatory supplement regimen. There are a few supplements I’ve used over the years that have been really helpful for reducing period pain and cramps. On the list are: a vegan omega 3 supplement (my favorite brand Ora is currently out of stock,but this one is a good substitute, organic pomegranate juice (not from concentrate!), and ginger (cut up a few slices for ginger tea, or use it to spice your meals!). I focus on taking these supplements 3-4 days before my period is expected to start and during the first 3-4 days of my period. *please work with a doctor or healthcare practitioner before adding supplements to your diet!*
- Learning to honor cycles. This isn’t a product, and it’s probably been the most important part of supporting my menstrual cycle. I used to power through my period, keeping up with a lot of movement, activity, exercise, and early mornings. I also dealt with some pretty major cramps, blood pressure issues, and fatigue during my period. There were a few times my husband had to come pick me up from wherever I was because there was no way I could get home by myself. Seriously. In trying to ameliorate this problem, I eventually started to actually honor how the hormonal shifts of the menstrual cycle create huge changes in the body. I started to slow down during my period, cancel unnecessary meetings, do more gentle exercises and eat nourishing, easily-digestible foods. When I put these into practice, many of the symptoms I was experiencing began to drift away. Notice how you might be fighting against your natural rhythms and see if there are ways you can work with your body instead.
I hope this list gives you some new ideas to help you regulate and support a pain-free period! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out anytime. Plus, I want to hear from you. If you have a favorite product or practice to support a healthy menstrual cycle, comment below!
Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day,